Thursday, May 15, 2014

Life can be just as wonderful

I don't know what it is but every episode of every show I have watched the last couple days has been about people taking chances in relationships. Specifically about people who have been so stuck in their ways that when someone special comes along things get thrown off balance. But the people in these shows always say yes. They always run after the girl. They say they want to try it, they want to fight and make it work.

It's been driving me crazy. Life doesn't work that way. Instead it's usually a string of conversations about figuring things out. No grand gestures, just moments of panic, insecurity, and lots of worry. Wondering what the final decision is. Too many nights spent "discussing" and contemplating, rolling the fragile bits of a relationship in our hands trying to mold and mend the rough edges.

I hate it. I want to scream "Just do it!" Why is it so hard for some people to just open up and let good things happen? Why do we fear change? I have always believed that every relationship is a risk, whether you think you're going to spend eternity with this person or not, you're risking a part of your life and your heart to let them in. But if it does end "happily ever after" wasn't it a risk worth taking?

I've never been good at being stuck in my ways, but I thought that was a good thing. It has always been easy for me to fall head over heels for someone, to jump in head first risking it all. I don't know what it is like to be alone for that long, to be unsure when something good does walk in, but that is a post for another day.

But I am trying to understand. I'm trying to be careful and recognize that sometimes people aren't full of crap, and sometimes they actually just struggle with things I won't relate to. I'm trying to be patient and remember life isn't like the movies. But that doesn't mean it can't be just as wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment